This is the first in a series of Biff Pair Programming Sessions®, in which we tackle an issue in an open-source Biff project for the sake of education, camaraderie, and glory.
Jeremy Taylor drove in today's pair session, and he fixed a bug in Platypub where users would get an Internal Server Error if they tried to create a new site or newsletter without first adding API keys for Netlify or Mailgun, respectively (issue #19).
- 0:00 – Introduction
- 3:50 – Running Platypub
- 9:00 – Selecting an issue: showing a better error message if you haven't set API keys
- 11:00 – Start coding
- 15:00 – Tangent: how one should access the system map
- 19:00 – Resume coding
- 22:05 – Doing a system refresh. I think we screwed something up here because we had to restart the JVM before eval-ing worked again.
- 32:05 – Start working on an error message
- 34:18 – Jeremy has a burst of insight and realizes we can just disable the button instead of showing an error message after the fact
- 40:45 – "New newsletter" button is now disabled properly, now we do the same for "New site"
- 41:50 – You can hear my wife in the background
- 43:30 – Throw in a little CSS
- 47:40 – Victory is ours. Jeremy submits the pull request.
The next session is scheduled for July 21st at 16:30 UTC.